Kentucky American Legion


Temporary Financial Assistance (TFA)

Since its establishment in 1925, The American Legion Temporary Financial Assistance (TFA) program has awarded cash grants to minor children of veterans who are eligible for American Legion membership. These grants help families in need meet the cost of shelter, food, utilities and health expenses, thereby keeping the child or children in a more stable environment. This cash aid is still available for cases not covered by subsequent state and federal programs for the needy. 

     Through TFA, a local Post can call upon the National Organization for cash assistance to help maintain the basic needs of veterans' children. The TFA fund has been used to assist families in meeting the costs of shelter, food, utilities and health expense items when the parents are unable to do so, thereby keeping the child, or children, in a more stable home evironment.

     Any veteran with children at home who is having a hard time with financial affairs should complete the application.  Remember this is an endowment and does not have to be repaid and can be approved for a second amount after six months.         

     TFA (Temporary Financial Assistance) application forms may be obtained at a local Legion Post or via the link below.  Once complete contact your Post Service Officer, TFA Post Representative or contact the Department of Kentucky headquarters for instructions.       

Individuals applying for Temporary Financial Assistance (TFA) should contact their local Post Service Officer to start the process by completing the necessary forms and gathering the necessary documentation.  A listing of all Post Service Officers is on our Department website under the District TAB, then under Schedule and Officers.  The Post Service Officer will complete the package and then forward the application and supporting documentation to the Department TFA contact below for review and approval.  The package is then transmitted to National Headquarters  for action.  Due to the requirements for signatures and supporting documentation, TFA packets must be initiated at the local level.  Do not contact the Department contact to start the process, as this will only delay the assistance.

Posts should contact the Department of Kentucky Children and Youth Chairperson for Temporary Financial Asistance claims and questions: 



Temporary Financial Assistance

TFA - application