National Convention Information
Adjutant Mike’s Recommendation for 1st Time National Convention Attendees
Here are my thoughts for those attending the National Convention for the 1st Time
- Arrive on Saturday August 24th.
- Stay with the KY Delegation at the Doubletree Houston Downtown if possible. Call Marlene for information about reserving hotel rooms. Click here for: Housing Information.
- Sunday Morning attend the Patriotic Memorial Service starting at 11:00 AM and lasting one hour.
- Sunday afternoon attend the National Convention Parade which starts at 4:00 P.M. Bus service will be available to transport the KY delegation to and from the parade route. Questions about parade contact/see KY Parade Chairman Bill Moore (270) 299-5037. See below for more Parade information.
- Monday afternoon attend the four-corners party. The party will be at Post ??. The party usually starts at 1:00 P.M. and last for a couple of hours. Free refreshments and entertainment will be provided. Bring legion pins for swapping.
- Monday evening the KY Delegation will hold a reception for all KY attendees. The caucus and reception will be 5:00 P.M. in a meeting room located at the Westin Hotel. Refreshments will be provided.
- Tuesday morning the National Convention officially opens at 8:30 A.M. in the convention center. You do not want to miss the opening sessions. The official convention sessions will cover Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Official speaker schedule will be available around the first of August.
- Wednesday & Thursday – attend the sessions if you can but if you need to get home, Thursday is a good day for leaving. Most attendees will leave on Thursday. The diehards will attend the Wednesday & Thursday sessions and go home late Thursday or early Friday.
- There are plenty of meetings to attend starting on Thursday if you are into meetings. Check out http://www.legion.org/documents/legion/pdf/convention_matrix.pdf for a list of meetings.
- There are several tours available if you are into tours.
***** Tour Infomation Goes Once - Once we receive ********
- Friday, August 23, 2013 – American Legion Family Night with the Houston Astros (Baseball). Game time is 7:10PM CST and National Commander Koutz will be throwing out the ceremonial “first pitch.” Discounted tickets are available- please see attached flyer.
- Sunday, August 25, 2013 – 2013 National Convention parade beginning promptly at 4:00PM. Parade route is in the Skyline District of the city and starts at Louisiana and Clay, heads north on Louisiana, west on Walker, south on Smith and ending at Dallas Street. More information to follow.
- Tuesday, August 27, 2013 – National Commander’s Banquet. The Temptations Review Featuring Dennis Edwards is confirmed as our entertainment. Tickets are $45.00 per person and each table is a round for 10 people. Departments may send their checks to this office, payable to National Treasurer of The American Legion.
- A reminder regarding convention registration, 2013 National Convention registration is $25.00 per person 18 years of age or older.
- Tour opportunities for the lovely city of Houston, Texas, should be available early next month.
- Color Guard Contest- We will once again showcase this extraordinary event on Friday, August 23, 2013, at the George R. Brown Convention Center, General Assembly Theater, Level Three, starting at 5:00PM CST. Applications may be found on our website at www.legion.org/convention.
- Come and hear the musical talents of the Band Contest on Saturday, August 24, 2013 at the George R. Brown Convention Center, General Assembly Theater, Level Three, starting at 1:00PM CST.
- Be sure and register (call Marlene for information). Cost is $25. You will receive a packet from me when you arrive which will include your credentials. Your name tag will be required to be displayed when entering any meetings or functions.
- Should you have questions please give me a call at the office (502) 587-1414 and I will try to help you any way I can. Remember transportation (free buses will be available for getting to the Convention Center and Parade).